Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Independence Days

Well, I'm working on a new computer and using some new software. Typing that title took two options changes and a help check. It's not a big deal really but sometimes it's just a little easier to stall than work on something.

What a crazy week. I started back to work Monday after narrowing avoiding having to call in sick for my first day back! I was hit by a nasty but short lived flu Saturday. I recovered fast enough to lay around in the sun a bit Sunday while it lasted.

Things did get done in the garden as well. On top of that I have two broody hens sitting on clutches right now. Does anyone have any idea of how to stop the other hens from sitting on top of them and adding to the clutch short of isolating the broody hens?

Also, does anyone have any ideas about what could be happening to my apricot tree? Second year running the fruit looks like it's coming along well and then all molds off and shrivels up to nothing before it even begins to ripen. Damn disappointing. I'm thinking this is why no one realized it was a fruit tree, a harvest is a freak occurrence.

Plant something: beets, carrots and bush beans. The planting happened in compost that I spread thickly in rows on top of the composting chicken bedding that is composting. I think it's generating some heat so we'll see if things will grow there.

Harvest something: basil

Preserve something: basil

Waste not: nothing out of the ordinary I think. Right now I'm cooking dinner completely from stuff around the house.

Prep/want not: Finally got the crab apples all pruned. I know, it's out of season but I didn't do it this winter and there was quite a bit of dead stuff to come out. One small one was mostly under the snow line and the mice had a winter feast. I may have to prune it more but the branches that appear to be girdled have some great little apples on them so for now they stay. The big crab I'm a bit concerned about. I should look back in my grandparent's records and see if I can see how old it is. It had lots of blooms but the foliage seems awfully sparse. I also draped some vapour barrier over the tomato cages. It's been so cool I got inspired to create a bit of a micro climate for them. It's open at both ends so it won't get hot but should help a bit.

Have a great week everyone. Hopefully the sun will peek out a while this week and I can get some pictures.

No comments: